2016 is breaking records for searches about travel anxiety, separation anxiety, anxiety at work, anxiety at school and anxiety at home. (according to the NY Times). Stress is a part of so many people’s lives. And it can have extremely negative affects on your health. As a woman, we get an additional negative affect from stress because it can really mess with our hormones. And if your trying to lose weight – well forget about it!
There are two hormones that are especially affected by stress. Cortisol is released into the body whenever we experience a “stress event”. It is a great hormone when we need to run away or fight – but that isn’t the reality of our modern world. We simply don’t burn off cortisol. So, it sticks around and becomes a layer around our bellies – this is why it’s so difficult to lose weight when you are constantly dealing with stress. Then there’s the effect stress has on our seretonin levels. This very important “feel good” hormone is necessary for us to feel good about the world and a lack of seretonin can lead to depression and anxiety. Tied very closely to the foods you eat and the amount of sleep you get, seretonin is often compromised in our stress filled lives.
This is why I’m such a huge fan of Liv’s SereZen spray. The adaptogenic herbs inside this formula help combat stress and help us “adapt”. Consider one of the most important ingredients – Ashwagandha – and how effective it is.
- Ashwagandha herb is capable of eliminating Leucorrhea, which arises due to hormonal imbalance in women as well as a variety of other causes.
- It also helps reduce anxiety and irritability, thereby calming the nervous system. It is a constant source of energy and rejuvenates women.
- The production of the stress hormone Cortisol can be controlled by regular intake of this herb in many forms.
- Extracts of this herb can relieve pain and secretion in women due to vaginal infection, which may result from various causes.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties which cures uterine infections and inflammations in a natural way.
- It can help improve libido in women to a great extent, just like in men. This herb is a known aphrodisiac which improves sexual endurance.
- The herb also addresses depression, irritability and abnormalities in mood caused by Menopause.
The administration of SereZen is super simple. You simply spray it under your tongue three to five times a day. More when you are immersed in a stressful situation. The feedback I have received as a health coach from clients has been phenomenal. Hot flashes diminished, better sleep, support in maintaining a weight loss program are just a few of the comments I have received.
SereZen can be purchased through this link:
Use my Promo Code: LIVNOW for a 20% discount. If you are already a Liv member – then call customer service at 877-449-9666 and order for yourself. Offered in Wintergreen or Cinnamon flavors.
This weekend I posted an INSTAGRAM video demonstrating how to “process” fresh zucchini in a food processor. It was my highest “liked” video to date!! This is the time of year for zucchini! And there’s nothing better in baked goods to give that dense quality. Those of us who are gluten free know that extra dense and rich GF baked goods are hard to come by. That’s why this recipe has been my “GO TO” recipe for years. I am so happy to have the chance to share it with you. For those who are watching their FAT grams – you can substitute the coconut oil for coconut yogurt and still have great results. Check out my recipe tips – gathered from years of making this recipe!!
Gluten Free Zucchini Muffins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix First In A MEDIUM BOWL
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup pure organic cane sugar OR coconut sugar OR Monk fruit sugar
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup coconut oil, liquefied but not hot
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose baking flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
HAND MIX INTO MUFFIN BOWL
1 1/2 cups zucchini, grated
1/2 cups golden raisins
1/2 cups raw walnuts, chopped
Step 1: Using a food processor, process chunks of zucchini until they appear shredded – but not pulverized. Put into strainer and set aside so it will drain.
Step 2: Blend wet ingredients in a medium size bowl.
Step 3: Using a sifter, add in Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix dry ingredients are incorporated into wet. Do not over mix.
Step 4: Stir in zucchini, golden raisins and walnuts.
Step 5: Spoon the batter into muffin tins. Bake for 12-18 minutes- time to bake will depend on how big you make them. Tops should be a little brown.
PREPARE FOR SUCCESS TIP:
*** Kids may not like the zucchini green flakes. You can peel the zucchini before you process it.
***If the zucchini is super fresh you may have to bake these muffins for an extra 5-7 minutes (because of the added moisture). Keep checking with a toothpick.
*** Refrigerate after they are cool.
*** You can also substitute carrots for the zucchini – delicious!!!!
***Individually package for convenience – great treat before a cardio work-out.
I don’t do a lot of shopping in the Frozen Food section – but March is the time to poke around these aisles. I love a good deal just like everyone! And with March as national freezer month, it’s worth checking things out. And I was pleasantly surprised at some of the NEW products I found in the freezer section – and on sale!!! PictSweet has come out with a line of flavored Edamame and they are delicious! I brought them for a side dish to a friends house. Her husband had never had edamame before and loved them. Hilary’s Veggie Burger is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free and a more. In 3 different flavors they are absolutely delicious and my new go-to when I’m grilling for the rest of the family and I want vegan food.
Additional freezer deals you should stock up on are frozen fruits for your smoothies and homemade ice creams. I also found frozen veggies for 88 cents a bag. Fabulous!!! The surprise find in that section was the frozen chopped onion. We used to do this in cooking class to prevent the “crying” that comes from chopping in front of an audience. Excellent choice for stir-fry.
And here’s a fun idea for your home freezer. Make your own juice cubes. Super easy to make and then easy to use. Just pop 6-8 in a blender with water and blend until smooth. The juice is flavorful and frothy. Recipe is simple – Use 2 sticks of either Green20 or Liv Sxinney in 32 ounces of water. Then chop up fruits and veggies – I use carrots and peppers. Freeze overnight and then pop the cubes in a freezer zip lock bag.
You can find Green20 and Liv Sxinney at www.livsxinney.com. And as an added FREE bonus, when you purchase a SXinney Life kit, you will receive an email campaign with SXinney Life recipes and lifestyle tips.
I’ve always thought starting out the new year with a resolution to change fitness and food habits was a bit counterproductive. Most people are still trying to get back to a “normal life” after the craziness of the holidays. And if you live in a state where it’s really winter, it just is not appealing to get out of your comfy warm bed and into a cold car for a work-out at the gym. Additionally, adding in more salads, and fresh produce is made difficult because the selection at the super market is limited.
But, the end of February is the PERFECT time of year to embrace change!!! Here are 4 big reasons why:
- There aren’t any huge holidays coming up that are centered around food. Yes, Easter is in April – but you have 6 weeks to create some terrific food habits. By then, you will have renewed your commitment to weight release and feel empowered to pass on the Easter goodies.
- The grocery stores are finally getting in some terrific produce! Asparagus is in season. Here come the strawberries! And suddenly we start to notice a variety to our greens – like arugula and dandelion greens. These bitter greens are perfect for cleansing out the gunk in your digestive tract.
- There are signs that Spring will come – like longer days. You mentally start thinking differently when there is more daylight. With more sunshine in your days you can do more outside. Add outdoor exercises to your weekend calendars. Now is the time to take your body into movement.
- We’re moving out of our natural hibernation state and seek out friends and family. Becoming more social empowers us to want to look and feel our best. It has been clinically proven that people who have strong social circles have better health.
When starting or improving any fitness, health or weight release program I recommend reviewing your supplementation. Optimal health is a 4 legged table. 1 – fitness, 2-nutrition, 3- supplementation, 4 – mind-body connection. I choose supplementation that compliments my lifestyle, while still enjoying a life of tasty food! I have chosen 4 product kits from Liv International which are targeted to specific health concerns. Click here to review Liv Kits: http://goo.gl/Ktx3K5
Starting today until February 29th, 2016, when you select one of the 4 kits from http://goo.gl/Ktx3K5 – I will personally send you a FREE bottle of our new product E-3 ($55 retail price). E-3 is a probiotic, enzyme and immunity builder in one product. Take steps today to live in the SWEET SPOT!
6 Places Sugar May Be Hiding In Your Diet!
If you’re sticking to your new year’s resolutions – you may or may not be seeing results – and the following selection of foods may be the reason why! Even with our best efforts – if we are not diligent label readers, the food industry will trick us with health labels – and sneak in their sugar!!!
Here’s the list of foods to revisit for sugar content:
Tomato & BBQ sauces – you’re better off making your own
Salad Dressing – you often get sugar instead of healthy oils
Packaged Nutrition Bars – Low fat is usually an indication there will be plenty of sugar
Cereals – Even “healthy” brands have tons of sugar.
Granola & Trail Mix – Try making your own
Frozen Entrees – Again low fat may mean lots of sugar
Joline’s Quick Guilt FREE Sugar Fix – Fruit! Right now grapefruits, oranges and tangerines are in season!! Add an avocado for good fat and the added bonus of feeling full!!
Yes, the holidays are here. I’ve got two parties on the calendar coming up! And, I’m excited about the treats and foods that will be there. We’ve all heard about the “5 -15 pounds” people gain over the Holidays and read or heard much advice about how to prevent this. The one piece of advice I’ve always hated is to EAT BEFORE you go to a party so you won’t overindulge. The reason I don’t like this advice is two-fold. First, what if it’s my party people are coming to, and I’ve worked for days to create food for my guests, and no one eats it! Ugh, I can’t think of a bigger slap in the face to your hostess. The second reason I dislike this advice is that it suggests you have no willpower. Really, are you the type of person who just clears a place for yourself right at the buffet table? Grant it, those little pigs in the blanket might be hard to resist, but it’s not the party food that’s going to bring on the extra weight. It’s the snacking, extra sweets and extra empty calories that find it’s way into your diet during this time of year. So, I recommend a FULL HOLIDAY strategy to REDUCE your chances for gaining extra holiday weight.
- Don’t buy candy for your house or your office. The little handfuls throughout the day add up in calories and will mess with your blood sugar levels. Making you more tired and susceptible to mood swings and breaks down your immune system.
- Take Crave after every sugary snack you do indulge in. Crave has 2 different fibers which will lower the glycemic value of anything you have consumed. This is super important for managing blood sugar levels and your body’s natural instinct to store fat.
- Have a smoothie ready in the fridge for those times you have a little hunger and need to make it to the next meal. The right kind of smoothie won’t have more then 200 calories and will be easily digestible. I recommend a scoop of Liv Pro15, handful of spinach, frozen berries, a squirt of Flax seed oil.
- For those who really struggle with extra sugar cravings I highly recommend the SXinney Mist! Spray if after every meal and snack. You’ll discover you won’t desire sugar as much and the adaptogenic herbs in Sxinney Mist will start to help you feel more in control.
When people start a new lifestyle or look to enhance the healthy life they are enjoying, they may have some misinformation about certain foods. Avocados tend to get a bad rap because of the amount of fat they have. But, the good news is, the fat avocados offer is considered a healthy fat – called monounsaturated fat! The next thing people worry about is the amount of calories in an avocado – 400 total calories for a medium size Avocado. I see this as a good thing. When you’re adding more fruits and vegetables to your lifestyle, the biggest complaint this that they never feel full. I coach people to add in the healthy fats – and this is where avocado’s can make a big difference to your feeling of fullness and satisfaction.
I am one of those whole food educators who believe that avocados have it all! High nutritional value, dense calories full of brain friendly fat! The thing I love about Avocados are there versatility. It’s not just for guacamole! One of the best ways to alklaine your body is to add avocados to your meals – here’s a few recipes you can make in under 10 minutes –
Avocado, scooped out of the shell and then cubed.
Toss and enjoy!!!
Orange, peeled and sliced
Kiwi, skin removed and chopped
Avocado, scooped out of the shell and then cubed
Sprinkle with a little salt
Toss and enjoy!!!